1st BULFORD (KIWI) SCOUT GROUP
THE HISTORY OF THE KIWI
After the First World War soldiers from New Zealand where stationed in Bulford awaiting repatriation to their homeland.
They decided to cut a giant Kiwi in the chalk of Beacon Hill. The Kiwi cut into the white chalk can be seen for miles, and also be seen very clearly from the air.
During the Second World War this presented a problem. It was decided to cover the Kiwi with grass turfs. This must have worked as only three bomb holes can be found on the top of the beacon.
The Kiwi stayed covered until 1948 when the 1st Bulford Camp Scout Group, (established June 1908) decided to uncover it. This was no small task as the grass had taken root and the whole project had to be started from scratch just as the New Zealand soldiers had done all those years early.
The work was undertaken to remove the grass sods and cover the shape in clean chalk; the pit at the bottom of the hill is where they dug the chalk.
They only had wheelbarrows, spades and ropes. It was very hard work and took a long time. Scouts and Cub Scouts (who where called Boy Scouts and Wolf Cubs) had to work very hard.
After many weeks the work was completed. The Chief Scout Lord Rowellen heard about what they had done and visited the Kiwi with the Commissioner for New Zealand. He was so impressed that he decided that the name of the Group should change to the “1st BULFORD (KIWI) SCOUT GROUP”. As a further honour they should wear a Kiwi on the point of their neckerchief.
This is the only Group in the world to have a Chief Scout change the name of the Group and instruct them to wear a badge in recognition of what they had done.
We should be proud of who we are and of our name.